Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Results of Night # 1 of Biphasic Sleeping

After my 'nap,' I DID end up getting out of bed. I didn't need Josh to come in and get me either. I was, however, not very happy about getting up. I was sleeping HARD when the alarm went off, so my theory is that I was mid-cycle, either waking too early or too late. It took me a little longer than usual to fall asleep; I was thinking about biphasic sleeping! But I did fall asleep fairly quickly (maybe 10-15 minutes) and then I woke up abruptly.
My plan had been to stay up until 3:00 and then get 3 more hours of sleep. Here's what really happened:
I stupidly thought it would be a good idea to watch a movie during my free time. I never have a chance to watch a nice (meaning violence, swearing, you know...) movie with my husband because the kids are always around when I'm awake. The movie I picked ? A Japanese movie with subtitles. It is a good movie. It is the movie on which THE DEPARTED is based. Around 1:30, I asked Josh how much longer the movie was going to be, thinking I'd just go to bed at the end rather than at 3:00. 45 minutes. NO WAY!
I decided to not finish the movie and go to bed instead. Thinking I was way too tired to get up in 3 hours, I decided I would go to bed (it was almost 2:00) then wake up in 3 hours, giving myself the opportunity to sleep another 1 1/2 hours before having to get up for work.
I read (for maybe 30 seconds) then fell asleep. I woke up before the alarm! I hadn't gotten up or anything, but I was awake, going over my thoughts about biphasic sleeping. When the alarm went off, I reset it and got back into bed. I considered getting up for the day, but then I thought about how tired I had been after my nap and couldn't take being that tired all day. I reset the alarm for 6am, giving me 1 1/2 hours of sleep. This time I woke up at 5, then I woke up again about 10 minutes before the alarm went off at 6.
The hardest part was that it is raining, and one of my most favoritest things is to sleep in the rain. I still got up, though.

I am awake, and I'm very yawny. I don't want to be awake, especially due to the rain, but I don't have a full 90 minutes left to rest, and I want to do my pilates this morning, so alas I'm staying up, feeling tired. Maybe the pilates will help me wake up!
Things I'll change for tonight:
After my nap, which I assume will be earlier tonight, I will do something more productive like cleaning or doing a computer project or maybe a scrapbooking project. I can't just "be entertained" during that phase-I need to make myself get up.
I'm going to try just sleeping 3 hours for the second sleep because the next day is my day off, so I will have the opportunity to sleep on Thursday if need be.

Whew. That was a long post. Time to do some pilates....




tag: biphasic-sleeping

No comments: