Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Bombay Potatoes

I love to try new things. I love to buy things that are cheap and/or on clearance. Imagine my excitement when I saw this:

Bombay Potatoes. Listed as chick peas, potatoes, and spices slow cooked in a tomato sauce. INDIAN. All natural, vegetarian. AND, it is marked down from $3.09 to $1.25. Of course I snatched it up. We love Indian food-and from looking at the box, it looked healthy. There were about 3 of them in the little sale basket, so I scooped them up.

And, it was easy to cook--either pop it in the microwave for 2 minutes or boil it on the stove for five. Being the gourmet that I am, I chose the microwave.

Imagine my surprise when I tore open the pouch and it was GREEN. The picture shows a redish color, so I thought that maybe it would turn after being cooked. (Serious doubt, though-how can 2 minutes in the microwave make that much of a difference?)

Well, this is how it turned out:

Those chunks you see? Not chick peas at all. Tofu. Definitely tofu. Definitely NOT chick peas. Well, I like tofu, so I decided to dig in anyway.




Keira asked what I was eating. I showed her and asked if she wanted some (in all honesty, it looks like baby poop). She looked. She said, "What kind of food is it?" I said, "Indian food." As I brought the spoon to her mouth, she said, "I don't like that kind of food," in a very panicky voice. "You haven't even tried it." "Oh." I put a tiny bit in her tiny mouth. "mmm." Then she ran away.

Night asked for seconds, though, so I guess it is a good sign. I have no idea what we ate, but I'm fairly sure it is healthy, and it tasted yummy. I dipped a tortilla in it and pretended my tortilla was buttered naan. Yum.


I just wonder what are in the other boxes. Something green with tofu or bombay potatoes...

No comments: