Saturday, December 02, 2006

Twas 4o'clock in the Morning and All Through....

the House, ALL THE CREATURES WERE STIRRING, starting with Connor:

"Ouch! My knee hurts. I hurt my knee!" I let this go on for a few minutes because last time it was his ankle, and he ended up in my bed for the rest of the night.
I went in to check on him. I kissed his knee, rubbed his back; he hardly opened his eyes, so I was thinking about making my escape, until I heard, "I want to watch tv."
I gently remind him, "No, honey, it is the middle of the night. Everyone is sleeping." This isn't going to work. At our house, someone is always awake-there is no middle of the night at our house...
Then Connor began sobbing about wanting to watch tv. Josh took over for a few minutes, but there was no success. We (Josh and I) went to bed, Connor continued yelling and crying about wanting to watch cartoons.
We decided to turn the tv on so he could hear it because he usually goes to sleep this way-some people have radios, our son listens to the tv. Then Connor screamed even more. "No! I don't want to listen to the tv! I want to watch it. Listening isn't watching!"
I told him to quiet down before Keira wakes up. I then stomped into the living room and turned off the tv, popping my head in the kids' room long enough to see Keira's little head popping over the railing of her crib. Nice.
I got back into bed and let Connor yell for awhile. Josh told him to be quiet a few times, but that didn't work. What worked? Keira started talking to Connor.
Connor's response was to yell back at her, "I DON'T NEED YOUR HELP, KEIRA!"
"Goo?"
"SHUT UP KEIRA! I DON'T NEED YOUR HELP!"
(A good mom would try to teach her son manners and that 'shut up' isn't nice. I, on the other hand, was laughing hysterically with Josh in the bedroom)
Keira likes to laugh at Connor, which is exactly what she started doing. So, Connor yelled, "Crying isn't funny, Keira! Crying is sad!"
This just made her giggle more! But, then it made Connor quiet down for a minute or two. Meanwhile, Scully the dog started whining to fill in the quiet. I still don't know what her problem was.
After about 10 minutes of yelling followed by 2 of quiet, repeat... Connor must have fallen asleep. At this point, it sounded like the cats were in the kitchen pouring themselves a bowl of cereal, which is entirely possible, our kitchen is a mess.
Then Keira changed from babble to crying. Josh to the rescue! He got up, gave the baby a bottle, and settled back into bed, everyone sleeping, a mere 45 minutes later.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know if you remember me, I am Sharni's sister, I met you once or twice when you were living 'down under'.

Anyway, I love reading your blog Mari. It is kind of like reading about my life.

We have very similar nights at our house, although the comments would be likely punctuated with 'poo-head' or a fart noise!

Keep smiling, Del

Unknown said...

Of course I remember!
Having kids is fun, isn't it? In a few years, I'm sure the poo-heads will start rolling. Right now, he just makes up odd names for her-like robot baby and bumble head.