Tuesday, January 16, 2007

I Did It

This morning, I came into work with my letter in hand. I HATE conflict. I like drama-when I get to watch it-I like me a good fight then (I know that I am a horrible person), but I hate and AVOID being in the middle of situations where there will be a fight. I'm the peacemaker, or averter, however you want to look at it.

Anyway, I came in and there was a bunch of junk on my desk. He had been in over the weekend and found a typo on one of my memos. It was circled in red and TAPED up on the ledge of my desk. He had also put up a sign saying we were closed for MLK day. I should've done that, but I didn't think of it-during the close-to-tears state I was in when I left on Friday.

I set up everything in the office before he came, including the work in the back that he has recently asked me to do as well. I was sitting at my desk when he came in. He bought me a cappuccino from Starbucks, so I thought maybe he'd be in a good mood. This did not deter my decision to quit, though, because I have been thinking a lot about going back to teaching, and it excites me. Also, I can't handle having another near breakdown then quitting. It is just too much to handle.

After printing off some paperwork that I need to take to him and making sure he was sitting down at his desk (I could just picture myself going back at the wrong time and having to give it to him while he is gloved up and in the operatory!), I walked back with the paperwork in one hand and the letter in the other, rehearsing it in my head, "I'm quitting. I need to quit. I won't be working here after two weeks..."

I get back to his office and see a letter to me in my "out-box" on his desk. I decide not to give him my letter until I see what is in that letter. We exchange slight pleasantries, and I leave. 2 minutes later, I walk back to him and tell him I have a letter for him as well.

He reads it, saying, "Ok....Ok....Ok." I just stand there. He then says, "Thank you." I say, "You're welcome," and I come back up front, shaking even though it was a very UNdrama like moment.

What was in his letter? He said that I wasn't keeping up with book keeping like he expects me to do and that I need to take my job more seriously. WHAT? Okay. There is this file, called "The Red Book" in which I put a copy of all outgoing correspondence-to keep a record of everything and to be able to reference next year at this time. Although I AM putting all of the letters in the red book, he wrote that I am not keeping up with it properly. I even reorganized it and showed it to him, receiving the response, "Oh, okay that looks good." I am really not sure what he is talking about, but I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Next issue, anyone know someone who wants to give me a job?

2 comments:

Anna said...

You HATED teaching!! Did he say anything about the letter at all?

Anonymous said...

How old are you?

Sorry about the neverending and awkward Dr./boss situations. I must agree, as a dental assistant, this job can really SUCK. It's been one bad relationship for me after another. Why does it have to be a relationship, anyways? Some Dr.'s think you're their second wife! I've opted for female Dr.'s since! However, women can be quite catty, and fickle sometimes. The last "try out" I had lasted only 2 weeks.