Friday, March 16, 2007

Fanophobia?

Today, one of the customers at the restaurant had a fear of the ceiling fans. The hostess said I needed to rearrange the table so that the woman couldn't see the fans. Huh? I then thought that maybe it was someone famous who couldn't BE SEEN by the fans, but the table was in the middle of the room. It was actually the ceiling fans, which are all over our restaurant that she couldn't see.

I then thought that maybe she had an eye problem or something, but the hostess informed me that she had a phobia of the fans. I think if anyone would have a phobia of ceiling fans, it'd be me. We used to have bats (of which I have a phobia) fly into our house and hang off the ceiling fans. Okay, it only happened once, but it was quite traumatizing. I can still remember seeing one hang upside down and just rotate around and around and around...

Intrigued, I tried to google "fan phobia" and "fear of ceiling fans." This is the closest I came to any actual research on the topic.

I just don't understand how she walked through the restaurant, under the fans to get to her table. Also, if you were afraid of something, wouldn't you want to be able to see it so it doesn't sneak up on you?

Weird.

3 comments:

Kathy T. said...

Off the subject at had, but are you and your family interested in FREE tickets to the Up with People concert tomorrow at 3:00 pm.? I'm going to shoot a couple of my favorite bloggers an email, too. I have SEVEN tickets to give away... first come, first served!

Unknown said...

I would love to go, but I have to work. :(

I'm all about international love, though, so thanks for the invite!!

Unknown said...

I had a cat who was terrified of ceiling fans. Unfortunately the only place he felt safe when the fan was on, was in the plastic Christmas tree!